Saturday, October 9, 2010

Finding protons, electrons and neutrons!

This week in Chemistry, we learned how to identify the number of protons, electrons and neutrons an element has. I knew beforehand, that the number of protons is the same as the number of electrons, but I forgot where to find the protons at. After, I learned where to find the number for protons - the atomic number. We also had to find the number of neutrons, to which I had no idea how to do. After, I learned that the number of neutrons equals the atomic mass and to find that is to add the protons and the neutrons together.
We also learned how to find the protons and electrons of an ion. To find the protons is easy - identify the atomic number. However, to find the electrons is different; you have to either add or subtract the number of protons. For example, if the element sulfur has the symbol 2-, then you have 2 more electrons than protons. So, you just add 2 to 16 (number of protons), which equals 18 (number of electrons)! Another example is if the element potassium has the symbol 1+, then the means that the electrons are one less than the protons. So, you subtract 1 from 19 (number of protons), which equals 18 (number of electrons)!
 From all that I have learned, I still have a remaining question: how do I find the charge of an ion?

Interesting fact: Did you know that a glass window is actually a liquid, not a solid?

No comments:

Post a Comment